I had been over weight since I was 10 years old, and obesity and Type II Diabetes run rampant in my family. Over the years, I’d tried many, many diets and exercise programs in my search for a solution to this painful and embarrassing problem.
I even managed to lose almost 100 lbs on another program. It was very difficult, and I struggled with constant cravings, low energy, feeling weak and cold all the time, and a lot of aches and pains. I got close to my goal by white-knuckling it, but then I slipped up, lost my momentum, and I gained it all back plus more. That was the story of my life. My metabolism was ravaged from yo-yoing. At my highest, I weighed 308 lbs and I had become pre-diabetic with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides (Syndrome X, or Metabolic Syndrome), while my body (knees, back, neck, shoulder joints) hurt all the time.
After a visit to the cardiologist in 2011 (I was only 44), precipitated by high BP spikes and dizziness, I had been considering weight loss surgery. Thankfully, just in time, I stumbled across Ideal Protein. I had never heard of it before, but all the research I’d done told me the science behind the program was sound. I was skeptical of pre-packaged programs and one’s ability to sustain weight loss afterward. But I didn’t yet understand how different Ideal Protein was. Thankfully, I was desperate enough to give it a try! It has saved my life.
On IP Phase 1, my weight loss averaged 10-11 pounds per month. During the weight loss phase I never felt better, healthier or had less pain in my adult life.
The challenges came when I began maintenance. First, Ideal Protein's 2013 Phase 4 recommendations included too many carbs for me and I began struggling with cravings and addictive behaviors with food again. I battled this for about six months and gained back some of the weight I'd lost. In a panic, I sought help from Overeaters Anonymous (www.OAHOP.org) which helped with my addictive behaviors, but I (and by then, the people I was coaching) needed a better way to maintain.
We began tracking what was working for the most successful maintainers among us. Using their menus, we formulated a plan that resembled Paleo or Primal, but with fewer carbs, and specific methods for incorporating them. Suddenly, we were all keeping our weight within 1-2 lbs very easily! After stabilizing for awhile, I restarted Phase 1 in late 2015 to get back down to my goal weight.
Here are just a few of the symptoms that cleared up for me (many after a just few months!):
- Weight Loss: Over 100 lbs from my highest weight!
- Blood Pressure dropped from 160/112 into healthy range - 118/77.
- Cholesterol ratio improved, and triglycerides dropped from 145 to 67.
- Blood sugar is no longer pre-diabetic. A1C is in the low 5s.
- Drastic reduction in chronic carbohydrate cravings, and greatly reduced appetite.
- Resolution of nearly all of the symptoms of PCOS. Normal menstrual cycle and no more hair loss.
- Complete resolution of chronic pain (knees, shoulders, back, neck).
- Complete resolution of chronic reflux.
- No longer need a CPAP machine for sleep apnea.
- Less sinus & congestion issues.
- Even moods & lots of energy.